YOUTHS ARE THE LEADERS OF TODAY.
- TO MAKE TOMMORROW BETTER, WE MUST DEVELOP, TRAIN, EDUCATE. EMPOWER AND INCLUDE OUR YOUTHS IN THE DECISION MAKING, AND CONSULTATIONS OF HOW WE WANT TO BUILD OUR SOCIETY.
- YOUTHS ARE ESSENTIAL IN PARTCIPATING, SOLVING AND TAKING ACTIONS ON ALL ISSUES RELATING TO THEM WITH PROPER GUIDANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT.
- PEACE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF PROBLEMS OR DIFFICULTIES. IT IS RATHER HOW WE CONTRIBUTE IN HOW IT CAN BE DEVELOPED AND ACHIEVED.
Objectives for the World Youth Day.
- Refocusing on Youth empowerment to help enable change Mindset and Youth Socio – Economic Educational development.
- Build on what the Columbans have been doing in the last decades to try and alleviate and bring Justice and Peace to one of the most violent and congested poverty affected places in Fiji where youths are most involved and also affected.
- Build JPIC Networks with all other Youth groups in the Area to minimize social tension and youth rival gangs.
- Involve Youths in Social and Ecological based programs that can develop Integral Conversion in these squatter settlements of Nanuku, Veidogo, Wailea and Jittu estate.
OUR TARGET AREA. – St Pius Area -Raiwaqa.
Theme for International Youth Day 2022
Transforming Youth Skills for the Future.
Youth sharing their stories, struggles and their dreams for now to the future.
Way forward – How can Youth participate in building Justice and Peace in their communities? Group planning and strategies.
Youth Skills, Talents and Energies can be tools for creating Justice and Peace.
St Don Bosco youth catering for the Raiwaqa Youths.
Unity and Community are Essential for Youth Development.
Leaders are made, through training and good Leadership.
I thank the support of the Columban Mission Office to fund this World Youth Day celebration at St Don Bosco Youth Center. This was a breath of fresh perspective and Life to these youths from our squatter settlements in Raiwaqa to be given space for them to speak, acknowledged and celebrate a day especially dedicated to Youths worldwide.
Also thanking the Salesians at St Don Bosco parish for their support and encouragement for this program to promote Justice and Peace through their Mission – Youth development.
Fr Tuia closing our program with words of encouragement and closing Liturgy and Blessings.
Effectiveness and Outcome of this Event.
- We were able to gather youths that are not only Catholics but from different faith groups and across the four squatter settlements.
- Use JPIC Vision and Mission to motivate and activate Youth Awareness and Action in these challenging communities.
- Individual youth groups from Wailea and Nanuku organize their own community JPIC related activities.
- To continue to support, monitor and evaluate this program monthly with a new JPIC committee.
13th August, 2022
Youths from Wailea already participating with the Lami Youth a day after the World Youth day celebrations.
Tevita.N. – JPIC.